Learn about Grammar step by step.
1.1 Grammar Introduction
- Grammar is a both an art a science dealing with the inflections or other means of showing relations between words as used in speech or writing and the phonetic system of the language concerned.
- A knowledge of grammar therefore is essential.
- Without it we cannot use the language concerned correctly.
- They also give definitions of various linguistic elements.
- It is believed that there can be no prescription of rules for the usage of linguistic elements like words and phrases and that a grammar can only describe the way in which the linguistic elements behave in a particular language.
- It is also believed that more definitions do not help students to acquire a knowledge of grammar and of the correct usage of language.
- Grammar is necessary, we are likely to commit errors and our speech and writing may not communicate our ideas correctly and precisely.
- Grammar may change when the language change but certain fundamental principles of grammar remain unchanged because they are related to the basic structure of a language which is peculiar to that language.
Congrats! Let's head up to the next lesson.