Learn step by step about Noun.
What is a Noun ?
A noun is a word which implies the name of anything , it may be a person [ examples with pictures are give in Nouns that Name a person] or a place or a relationship or an object. In day to day English, noun is called as naming word. These nouns place a vital role in all sentences to denote about what or about whom we are talking. These nouns may be singular or plural, we could talk about “n” number of nouns based on the situation. Singular and plural forms of frequently used nouns are give in Numbers Of Noun.
Gender of nouns
When a noun denotes a person it should be mentioned properly based on the gender. We have different nouns in English to denote a person or animal based on their gender/sex, to know the common gender forms of nouns please visit Gender of nouns.
Functions of nouns
A noun could be a subject or an object of a sentence [to understand the role of a noun in a sentence please visit Functions of Noun]. This object is classified as direct object and indirect object, that has been discussed in the subtitle sentence pattern.
|my cousin||her brother||doctor|
Example of nouns with pictures
- Elephant is the biggest animal.
- Books are placed properly.
- Water is one of the essentials for every living organism.
- Balloons pep kids.
- All needed papers are filed here.
- Black belt is the highest rank in karate.
- Gold is a expensive metal.
- Planes are the fastest mean of transport.
- Chocolates keep us young.
- Kids are playing in the garden
What is the meaning of noun in English?
When a word names a place, person, living organism, non living object, instruments, equipments, etc.. is called noun in English grammar.
10 examples of noun sentences
- Sam is my distance relation.
- Karim has completed his graduation.
- I called my friend George yesterday.
- She lives in london since 2015.
- Kerala is declared as paradise of nature.
- My table is totally mess.
- Ramzan is the most important festival in gulf countries.
- Colourful ribbons are used in birthday decorations.
- Movies have some value in the society.
- The president is the first citizen of a country.
Nouns and verbs
Verbs are explained clearly in separate subtitle, but here we are discussing the usage of nouns and verbs in a single sentence. Sometimes we can use a word as noun as well as a verb but we should understand either it places a role of noun or verb in the sentence.
Examples of nouns with verbs
- Rain (noun) is essential for agriculture.
- It rains (verb) heavily.
- Water (noun) should be clean and gems free.
- I water (verb) plants daily.
- Heavy work (noun) makes us tired.
- I work (verb) for an IT company.
- Order (noun) has been sent to office.
- They order (noun) him to come on time.
- WhatsApp Group (noun) creates bond among people.
- They group (verb) together for the ceremony.
Classifications of nouns
Nouns are classified as many types based on its implications and utilities. There is no standard types of nouns in English. Nouns and its types are distinguished by its nature and role it has been taken in the sentence. Let's, see the different types of nouns with example sentences in detail.
Types of nouns
- Common noun
- Proper noun
- Concrete noun
- Collective noun
- Abstract noun
- Countable noun
- Uncountable noun
- Compound noun
- Material noun
- Predicate noun
First, we should know the basic variations in between each type of nouns. The title of the type says the features of the noun.
Exercise For Noun
- 1. Exercise for Person Name
- 2. Exercise for Things Name
- 3. Exercise for Animal Name
- 4. Exercise for Fruit Name
- 5. Exercise for Day
- 6. Exercise for Month
- 7. Exercise for Common Gender
- 8. Exercise for Masculine Gender
- 9. Exercise for Feminine Gender
- 10. Exercise for Neuter Gender